Raindrops keep fallin' on my head
As you all are probably aware, the much-anticipated "Batman: The Dark Knight" is coming to a theater near you on July 18. Of course, I am thoroughly stoked since my favorite, Christine Bale, will be appearing before me in larger-than-life form. But as you also may be familiar with is the character of Poison Ivy. She managed to use a chemical called silver iodide to make it rain in Gotham City, thereby allowing her new breed of plants to help her take over the city.
Now, this fiction contains truth in that silver iodide is used in that exact fashion: to produce rain clouds, and thus, rain. Silver iodide is a crystalline chemical compound that is highly soluble in water.
You may be asking, "What is all this boring chemistry talk all about?" Well, for one, it's not so boring. And secondly, it's part of life here in Beijing and China. For the past decade, China's government has been researching and perfecting this cloud seeding process. Most frequently used in China's drought-plagued north, the Beijing Weather Modification Office has now been tinkering with the weather gods to help clear the city's polluted air.
Since my time here, it's rained pretty much 40% of the time. During those days, I can't quite put my hands around how often it has rained artificially. Apparently, the government fires rocket shells full of cigarette-sized sticks of silver iodide over the city skies. Lovely. I'm sure that's adding a fine coat of moisturizer on my own skin. Of course, the effectiveness (and safety, perhaps?) of cloud seeding is still a controversial topic among many scientists. Though I'm not a scientist or meteorologist, I have my doubts as well. However, after Saturday's "rain," Sunday delivered a sky full of azure.
Aside from the cloud seeding, the city has been keeping on task with clearing the air. Quite admirable are the efforts on Beijing's part to do the most to cut pollutants in the given time frame. Already, I have heard of many factories, stores and clubs closing in order to restrict the number of excessive emissions. In addition, private cars are assigned certain days they can drive on the roads based on odd and even license plate numbers. But whether or not all of these efforts can do the job by August 8th is still up for debate.
It's no surprise that I've been maintaining a consistent running regime while here at Beijing. But it hasn't been an easy one. I must say that it took a week to acclimatize to the heavier, damper and humid air. I know that if I were an Olympic track and field athlete, I'd spend as much time in advance as I could to train in this air. My only question now is: Can they make chocolate rain?
Now, this fiction contains truth in that silver iodide is used in that exact fashion: to produce rain clouds, and thus, rain. Silver iodide is a crystalline chemical compound that is highly soluble in water.
You may be asking, "What is all this boring chemistry talk all about?" Well, for one, it's not so boring. And secondly, it's part of life here in Beijing and China. For the past decade, China's government has been researching and perfecting this cloud seeding process. Most frequently used in China's drought-plagued north, the Beijing Weather Modification Office has now been tinkering with the weather gods to help clear the city's polluted air.
Since my time here, it's rained pretty much 40% of the time. During those days, I can't quite put my hands around how often it has rained artificially. Apparently, the government fires rocket shells full of cigarette-sized sticks of silver iodide over the city skies. Lovely. I'm sure that's adding a fine coat of moisturizer on my own skin. Of course, the effectiveness (and safety, perhaps?) of cloud seeding is still a controversial topic among many scientists. Though I'm not a scientist or meteorologist, I have my doubts as well. However, after Saturday's "rain," Sunday delivered a sky full of azure.
Aside from the cloud seeding, the city has been keeping on task with clearing the air. Quite admirable are the efforts on Beijing's part to do the most to cut pollutants in the given time frame. Already, I have heard of many factories, stores and clubs closing in order to restrict the number of excessive emissions. In addition, private cars are assigned certain days they can drive on the roads based on odd and even license plate numbers. But whether or not all of these efforts can do the job by August 8th is still up for debate.
It's no surprise that I've been maintaining a consistent running regime while here at Beijing. But it hasn't been an easy one. I must say that it took a week to acclimatize to the heavier, damper and humid air. I know that if I were an Olympic track and field athlete, I'd spend as much time in advance as I could to train in this air. My only question now is: Can they make chocolate rain?


6 Comments:
so, if china is making it rain in one place, doesn't that mean that it's preventing it from raining in another place?
I mean, if the clouds have moisture, they're going to release it. If china makes them release it early, it means that some other place ain't gonna get it.
sortof sounds like the failed water policy of the American West...use up all the water because there must be an infinite supply...
A couple good background sites that address your question:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24260978/ - discusses what happens to peripheral areas and life span of clouds
http://www.nawcinc.com/wmfaq.html
- a different look at effects cloud seeding has on downwind regions of 'seeded' clouds
dude, can you seriously become a news reporter or something ASAP??
But, aren't I already...? ;)
very interesting mich... i dunno about chocolate rain though.
R u? that's right. U r. Are you also becoming a film critic now? Bring me back some panda choco things and some lychees.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home