Thursday, September 13, 2007

Iguazu Falls


Iguazu Falls
Originally uploaded by michellechang
Unfortunately but fortunately, my flight down to Patagonia was canceled on Monday due to unforseen circumstances. Apparently, the domestic Argentinian airlines decided to go on strike. Therefore, my flight was canceled but I quickly decided to go north to Iguazu Falls. And I am glad I did, because it is more than spectacular.

I thought I was going to be underwhelmed here - everyone had said how incredible the falls were, but many times, there just is a lot of overhyping. But I was wrong. I was more than pleasantly surprised to see hundreds of the 275 individual falls that make up this UNESCO World Heritage Site.

In addition to hiking for half a day throughout the park, Vic and I also went aboard a raft-boat that took us under some of the falls. Along the way, we met three San Franciscans so found ourselves in good company. We were given a waterproof bag and life jacket, and stepped aboard the boat. In a matter of minutes, my dry yet somewhat sweaty tank top and shorts were drenched. We went right under the falls - I screamed like a little girl the whole time, in complete exhiliration. We had to head back to shore for a couple minutes because one man got a panic attack so had to get off. We continued to take showers under the falls a couple more times before we continued on our speedboat down the river Parana. Once out, we hopped on a 4X4 and reached home base again.

It was quite an adventure, but nothing compared to what a Belgium lady I met has been doing. I did not quite catch her name, but she stayed in the same hostel room as us these past couple of nights. For the past five and a half months, she has traveled through Belgium, France, Switzerland, Spain and Portugal, all by bike. From Spain, she flew into Brasil, and crossed the country before reaching Argentina a couple days ago. And I must mention, she looked like she was in her 50s.

Anyhow, I got around to chatting with her for a while at dinner last night. She has no plan on when she will return home. She is indefinitely traveling until she gets bored and runs out of money. She has no cell phone, and only rarely jumps on the internet. She says she has no family, few friends, and is neither lonely, tired, nor frightened.

This morning, I was returning from a morning run, when I saw her on her bike. She was right. She only had four small bags, carefully and securely sitting on both her wheels, balancing her tall yet slender frame. She had lost about 8 kilos since the start of her trip. We greeted each other in French, kissed both cheeks, and I wished her luck, safety, and wellness on her trip ahead. She had a smile plastered on her weathered face, and muscles I have never seen on a 50 or 60 year old woman before.

I felt a weird tingling sensation when I saw her. A part of me wanted to do what she is doing so badly. To just get on a bike, with a map glued to the handlebar, and to bike 100 km a day, stop and rest whenever I please. Time is not of the essence, money is a factor but inconsequential in such a travel approach, and freedom is ubiquitous.

But another part of me wonders...is she in fact lonely? Is she scared? When will she stop? I admire her for her desire to seek the world in a carefree and adventurous way. She has a courage not many have - a bravery that can be found in only certain types of people. At the same time, I know that if I were to get on a bike for one, two, or even three years today, it would be different. I am at a different point in my life than she is - or am I? She is wiser, has seen more, is more experienced, and has different priorities. For all I know, she may have had a loving family, a stable and well-paying job, but that those chapters of her life have passed and closed.

I have met a number of people like this Belgium lady on my travels. It is not rare to come across these strong-willed, independently courageous, and free-spirited types. I guess somewhere along the line, you can choose where you want to take your life. I know that if I just left for several years alone on bike, I would see amazing parts of the world. Of course, it would be just as meaningful if I had a companion to share that with me - as long as we don`t end up arguing the whole trip.

So who knows, maybe I´ll plan some kind of bike adventure one day. But in the end, any kind of mode of transport can be your own adventure. It just takes that extra step and desire deep down.

Best of luck, be safe, and have fun seeing the world, lady!

8 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

i think we admire people who do things we cannot or will not do. However, just because a mountain is there doesn't mean it needs to be climbed.

If we are constantly driving to see new things and push the boundaries, are we ever content?

Instead, should we feel bad for this woman because she is not content with the status quo. In some ways, it's more impressive to meet the person who lives a middle class lifestyle, does nothing altogether very exciting, yet is blissfully at peace.

then again, maybe she's content in her nomadic life.

personally, i'd rather live her life too, but then perhaps i too am unable to be blissful with the simple things.

12:49 PM  
Blogger mishlchang said...

yeah im not saying id wanna be her or do what she is doing. she may have her independence and freedom, but maybe she does not have that simple contentment or family in her life. her family is meeting new people and seeing new parts of the world. as long as she is happy, that is cool. if she isn´t, that is too bad. but i just think that the adventure part of it all is exciting. so yeah, i admire her because she is doing something i may or may not be able to do - who knows the answer to that right now.

2:17 PM  
Blogger adam said...

i think it's impressive just because she is doing something that most people are truly afraid to do.

it's one thing to climb a everest and risk death.

it's altogether more difficult to have no family, few friends, no home and still be happy.

I would be curious to hear her motivations....you don't take up a quest like that on a whim.

2:36 PM  
Blogger mishlchang said...

yup i agree. i asked her exactly that: why are you doing this? i got a vague and incomplete answer...then again, i am just another traveler, coming and going in her life.

8:15 AM  
Blogger dc said...

I just hope this lady does not become Chris McCandless of "Into the Wild"

12:42 PM  
Blogger adam said...

so, either she knows why she's doing it but it's too complicated or difficult to explain, or, she doesn't know why she's doing it.

i hope it's the former, but i have a feeling it's the latter. fe

10:51 PM  
Blogger grace said...

damn girl, reading ur stories makes me wish i were still out and about meeting exploring the world.... safe travels! can't wait till you get back! =)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I took that same raft ride too...fun...

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home