Tuesday, July 22, 2008

You're gonna go far, kid


Curious boy
Originally uploaded by michellechang
In between studying for midterms, running 10 miles in 90% humidity while getting asked if I was training for the Olympics and bargain shopping, I haven't had much time to update my blog. In response to the fervid demands from all two of my readers, I've finally uploaded my latest photos.

In the meantime, a few updates:

1). Upon my return to CA, I will soon don a new t-shirt that reads: 'East Bay Pride.' This is due to the fact that I will now be a resident of Berkeley. I was very close to being able to legitimately wear a 'I Heart Oakland' tee. Alas, Berkeley it will be, and boy am I excited!

2). Olympics security is in effect.
a). Subway passengers are now welcomed with security checkpoints. You might walk across one or two guards who may be sleeping though. Just continue walking - it's too humid for them to care.

b). About half of Beida's school entrance gates are now closed and upon entry, students must show their student ID cards.

c). Vehicles are assigned days to drive based on even / odd license plate numbers. Surveillance cameras have been installed to ensure people follow the city's policy. If they do not abide by the laws, then they are fined 100 yuan (about $15 USD) and must pay three months' worth of taxes. Not something you want to do.

d). Dog meat is being removed from designated Olympics restaurants. Yep, that's considered Olympics security, safety - call it what you will. Let's just say not everyone has an appetite to consume dog meat or read about it. I know that I am not jumping for that.

3). This weekend I am headed to Inner Mongolia for a long weekend. I am extremely stoked about it; it will be three days of all things yurts, horses, bonfires and sunrises. Now that's an endless summer I can't turn down.

4). I saw a few familiar faces this past weekend, including Ben, whom I had the lovely chance to have dinner with twice. I also met up with some old Stanford FACES friends, all of whom make my Mandarin look terrible since they are not even Asian nor raised in China.

5). My popsicle count has surpassed 30. I mean, they're 14 cents each - who wouldn't get one everyday? And in this weather, you'd have to try hard not to get one per meal. Trust me.

2 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

a few things:

1. offspring rules!!

2. so they're banning dog meat right? well, it seems to me that the type of places that serve dog, probably aren't the kind of places that are gonna really pay attention to the ban. it's not like mcdonalds serves the dog burger over there. or the double dog burger with cheese.

3. what flavor popsicle? hopefully not dog. or wet dog. that would be gross.

9:37 AM  
Blogger mishlchang said...

well there are restaurants who are 'olympics-designated' restaurants. not sure what that really means, but i guess they're among the marketed places for foreigners to eat. so those places aren't allowed to serve dog.

i've been addicted to red bean popsicles. very refreshing for this humidity. no wet dog flavor thank you.

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home